Bayard's Watering Place
( - 1733)
The name Bayswater originates from Bayard's Watering Place, first recorded in 1380 as a place where horses were refreshed on their way out of or into London. At this watering place a stream called the Westbourne passed under the Uxbridge Road, which is now known as the Bayswater Road. The stream ran south along the current Gloucester Mews West, Upbrook Mews and Brook Mews North into Hyde Park. A look at a current map of London shows that Bayard's Watering Place was close to where the Royal Lancaster Gate Hotel now stands.
There were several variations of the name Bayard's Watering Place. The form Bayswater occurred as early as 1659.
Bayswater in the 1600s was a small hamlet, probably part of Westbourne Green further north. It consisted of a few houses with outbuildings and stables. At its eastern edge, near the watering place, was an inn called The Crown - currently the Royal Lancaster Gate Hotel. Another inn was recorded nearby in 1730, called the Saracen's Head and now known as The Swan.